Skip to main content

tv   Charlie Rose  PBS  September 20, 2016 12:00am-1:01am PDT

12:00 am
>> rose: welcome to the program. we begin this evening with the explosions in new york and new jersey, jeff glor from cbs news will be here with the latest. and we conclude with a conversation with the president of egypt, abdel fata el sisi. >> we are trying to strike a balance that we have stability and security because this country cannot be violently shaken, because if it is violently shaken there will be a lot of consequences on the country and on the region. but in the mean time we're making sure that we're very much committed to the-- one important thing that i want to say about the media and journalism in egypt, i would like you to follow up the meeting in egypt.
12:01 am
you are an eminent dignitary, just follow up and see that the egyptian media just says and speaks what they like. there are no more tyrants in egypt. that's history. >> rose: terrorism in new york and the president of egypt when we continue. funding for charlie rose is provided by the >> rose: funding for "charlie rose" has been provided by the following: >> and by bloomberg, a provider of multimedia news and information services worldwide. captioning sponsored by rose communications from our studios in new york city, this is charlie rose. >> rose: we begin this evening with the explosion in manhattan on saturday night.
12:02 am
ahmad khan rahami was taken into custody after a gun fight with police. he is smentd of, straighting the bombings in new york and new jerszee over the weekend. the 28 year old was born in afghanistan, a carl eyed u.s. citizen according to the fbi. he was discovered and chap tured in lindon, new jersey. marc santora of "the new york times" joins me to discuss this developk story. good to sigh. you got pulled into this on saturday. after the explosion in chelsea happened, before they linked it back to seaside heights. >> right, saturday night we have this explosion under a dumpster in chelsea on a relatively done diskrept street, 23rd stroat and then discover a second pressure cooker bomb which they didn't know if it was a real bomb or not. in the first few hours they weren't really lipping it to something that happened earlier in the day on the jersey shore where they had a pipe bomb go off in a garbage can. an when we looked at the damage if that, it looked relatively minor. nobody thought too much about it but when we had the bombing in chelsea, people started asking are they connected. and then over the course of the
12:03 am
day on sunday they started to connect the two and learn more and more troubling things that i think added a lot of urgency both to the investigation and the manhunt that ended today. >> what do we know right now about these devices? >> so the two devices in manhattan, we're learning today that they are actually more sophisticated than people thought which is some what worrying. and there is some suggestions ta perhaps he had some help or some coaching in putting these together. and the kind of explosive compounds used, the weigh they were-- the way they were put together is not as simple as looking on the internet and doing or so we are told. the other pipe bomb, the ones in new jersey are more typical of what you might find which are black powder pipe bombs. and then there was late sunday night a backpack with five pipe bombs found near the train station that the police disarmed, one of which went off. those again were, i think, we believe, more typical pipe bombs. so we are looking at a variety of different kind of bombings. the most sophisticated of which were the ones in chelsea. >> did he have more inside his home or in other places? >> we don't know yet.
12:04 am
>> the pfeiffer people without were questioned but not arrested, family members? >> right. so what happened during the investigation and the manhunt, as they get more concerned both about the sophistication of the devices and the fact that he is still out there, you start to look at surveillance video and start to focus in on him. once they do that they start looking at some addresses in new jersey soshted with him. at one of those addresses they see a car leave. because they are so concerned they decide to act. and they pull that car over, going over the bridge and in the car there are five people, we're toll, at least two of them are relatives. they are taken in for he canning and released. so what their exact relation and connection-- connection, we don't know. it shows the urgency last night trying to find this guy. >> so as they are out approximating the piece of the pz el together, he is then found in lyndon. >> i don't know if you get your alerts in the morning so most new yorkers woke up, the first time the city has ever done this, for a manhunt. they woke up to this either i willing almost like a wild westk
12:05 am
wanted, you know, this guy. and so you know, the whole city woke up to it. including police officers too who were all distributed this picture. so the picture goes out, and around 10:30 this morning there's a bar owner in lin don who is going back to work and see this guy sleeping in the vestibu le. is he a little suspicious, a little unclear if he was more suspicious because of at all right but calls 911. an officer responds and the officer tries to wake the guy up. the guy wakes around, sees the ckily it hits his vest in theur abdomen. the guy then tries to get away. he's shooting wildly at cars, in the street. another police officer is hit, finally he is shot mument pel times and that is where we ended this morning at about 11:15 with him heading to the hospital to be treated. >> the times is doing great reporting right now in both elizabeth and in lindon on what rahami was doing in the months and years before this happened.
12:06 am
before he is suspected of doing what he had is accused much doing over the weekend. tell me more about this. it is the first american fried chicken is the restaurant that his father first opened. >> so our best estimate is ten years ago the father opens the first american fried chicken and some of the family lived in an apartment above it. it is a family place where the father works there, the sons work behind the counter. but it apparently was also sort of a nuisance, a at least according to neighbors because in the first years it was operating 24 hours a day. sometime there would be a rowdy crowd in the evening. it got to the point where the neighbors filed a complaint with the city and the city passed an ordinance to have the place shut down after 10 p.m but apparently there, they didn't comply always and there were scifls and interactions with the police. so there was some bad blood between some of the neighbors and the people there. but that having been said, we're very early in understanding both him, his family and his background. >> there was a lawsuit between the family and the township.
12:07 am
>> yeah, the family sued saying they felt discriminated against. again we're just looking at the documents now. it's not totally clear the disposition of that lawsuit. investigators, the more important thing they're looking at right now are the trips he might have taken to afghanistan. we're told that between 2010 and 2014 there are several trips, some neighbors describe him returning from those trips some what more radicalized. again, early we're not quite sure what that means am but i think for investigators trying to decide if there is any direction from overseas or any wider, you know, influence here f they were inspired by someone, these might become critical. >> at this point we don't know how many trips, do we know how long each of these trips was for? >> we would think that somebody knows that because when someone leaves and goes to pakistan it's noted but we don't know that yet. >> he was where, in afghanistan, he went back to afghan-- afghanistan where he is from. >> we are told several times he went back to afghanistan but we
12:08 am
are not sure exactly when and for how long. >> but neighbors have told you or your colleagues, at least, at this point that he changed after these trips. >> some neighbors described him as more radicalized. before he left he was into fast cars andresed in western clothes. >> okay. so on saturday, the suspicion on the part of police is that he left this in seaside park on saturday morning, the first he vice, that is. and took the fast train into the city? >> the first device is three pipe bombs only one detonated left outside a marine corps race that was supposed to unare. the race was delayed, no one was injured. we are not sure, we're still-- i think the police are still scouring through dot records and other things to see whether he drove, took mass transit. i think all of that is still part of the investigation. but he ends up show back in new york because he's caught on surveillance tape, both at 23rd street and 27th street. and he is seen planting the devices. >> it's believed he was in new
12:09 am
york from when to when, rough time period? >> so some point after the explosions that night he's gone. the next time he's on the radar is when he appears in lynndone. after the explosions to the time in lynndon is something they are trying to piece together too, to see if he contacted anyone, had any help. but as far as we know, he's on surveillance video, saturday night. and then again he shows up sunday, this morning outside that bar in the vestibu le. >> he winds up in the vestibu le of this bar. >> right, sleeping in the rain. >> and how many shots did he fire? >> so the exact number, i don't knowment but enough where the police kept him there described as indiscriminate fire both at officers and into passing cars. it was a handgun he had but they didn't release the exact number of rounds. >> two officers were hurt. >> so the officer who approached him first was shot in the abdomen. the vest took most of the blow, as we understand it another suffered a wound of some sort, a little unclear what the nature of that wound is. both are not life threatening.
12:10 am
>> and rahami was hit where? >> three times again without being too specific, not sure. looks like the shoulder, the back and perhaps the leg. but we're still getting that, details of that. >> isis did quickly claim responsibility or at least inspiration for the incident in minnesota, the stabbings over the weekend am but not as far as this incident goes. >> i think that was initially why some of the politicians and others were out there saying they didn't think there was a lengthy international-- link to international terrorism because they are quick to claim credit and they weren't. but again, there is no sort of handbook for what they have to do. and so there was no claim that we're aware of credit but what that means, i'm not sure. >> marc santora of "the new york times," thank you very much. when we come back, charlie's interview with the president of egypt abdel fata el sisi. >> rose: mr. president, thank you very much for this opportunity to talk to you here in new york city as you arrive for the united nations general assembly. i want to talk about egypt.
12:11 am
how you see your country, your vision for it, what you see of the tensions between human rights. and national security. and economic development. i want to talk about how russia-- how egypt sees its neighbors. how it sees other powers around the world. and i want to talk about how they see you and questions they raise about human rights and individual freedom and your economy. but let me begin with you and egypt. tell me what your vision is and what you think you can accomplish. >> let me first begin by thanking you and to present all the greetings to the american public and all the greetings to the egyptians who flow from all over, from canada, from other
12:12 am
states, the united states, from egypt to come here and join with us on this activity. let see say that i see that egypt is developing at suitable pace. there are a lot of challenges. but what we have achieved throughout the past two years in all fields is substantial. you're talking about stability, security and human rights. and i want to say that egypt has 90 million people. 90 million people need to live in peace and security. but while we're doing this, we are also committed to a state of law to the rule of law. and this is what we're trying to down route, that the law should
12:13 am
dominate. and let me be very straight forward with you. perhaps there are some violations. but we are very committed to the rule of law. and to treat all issues within the legal framework. there is some kind of balance between security and civility in a very turbulent region which a lot of serious challenges, and between the other things. and perhaps in the last two years, in the last two days here and in the states, you have seen the negative impact that a terrorist action can have on the stability and security of our communities. >> rose: i assume you are talking about explosions here in new york. >> yes. >> rose: they haven't identified yet where they might have come from. but i understand your point. >> i want to say that regardless of who has committed it, but i'm talking about the reaction and the bad impact that it has on
12:14 am
all the tensions that it puts on the security forces who are responsible for the security of the people, here in the united states or any other place. >> rose: what is the threat today of terrorism in egypt in the s sigh nye. >>-- sinai. >> tourism is the post dangerous threat, that is not only facing egypt but the region and the whole world. previously i called for a global strategy. and i said before that it is not a security strategy but it is a comprehensive one with a lot of components and ingredients including security, economy, culture, intellectual sides and bringing reformation to the religious-- as well so it will be able to stand very firm in front of this terrorism n sigh
12:15 am
nye we have substantially improved compared to what we had before. now, now the terrorist attacks are very limitedded to one, two percent of the area of sigh nye. and we have improved a lot and achieved many, many good things regarding terrorism. >> we have watched in egypt, president mu barack leave-- mu barack leave government, president morsi overthrown. you have taken command and then elected president. there are those who worry that if egypt doesn't change that you might face the same kind of revolution that came about with the arab spring. do you worry about that? >> i want to say to you that
12:16 am
egypt-- the he-- egyptian peope on the 21s of january, 2011 wanted to change and on the 30th of june, 2013, corrected their will. now there is a constitution. there is a state with institutions and now there is an egyptian president who cannot stay in office any other day more than his tenure. by half of 2018 there has to be a new presidential election for either a new president or according to the will of the egyptians, this is fundamental change, that is staying in place in the political scene in egypt? >> what do you think you can accomplish for egypt? what division of your egypt. >> this is a very important question, charlie. egyptians have a lot of hopes and i have a lot of hopes as well. i hope that egypt restores its
12:17 am
rightful place. egypt say big country in a turbulent region. i hope egypt will enjoy all freedom, prosperity, development for the egyptian people. >> you are saying that some people have hijacked islam. and used it to-- for their own political agendas. yes? >> definitely definitely, absolutely. this has happened over many years. and it's being taking place now. a certain religious context is being form lated. and then-- and then it is introduced to recruit followers
12:18 am
in order to bring it to reality. and this is done through assassination, killings, murders and destructions and at the end of the day you have countries destroyed and eventually this virtual weapon is spreading, is spreading with those who embrace the idea, who embrace the ideology. this is the problem that we face in our region and beyond in afghanistan, syria and libya and yemen, iraq and nigeria, and somali. >> rose: as you know in the united states, some people including the president does not use the term, you know, radical islamic extremism. you seem to be comfortable with that, because you believe that that is where it is coming from.
12:19 am
>> we are-- we are the oldest country in the region. we know very well about our religion. we know very well about the genuine islam that upholds values and principles that hold for tolerance and moderation, that prevents people from killing and terrorizing others. >> rose: what do you recommend to the west, your arab neighbors, to stop isis? islamic state, al nousra, al-qaeda, what's necessary to win this battle against
12:20 am
terrorism? >> the problem is the whole idea of extremism, the whole ideology of extremism is not only confined to a certain terrorist group. it is, and the ideology that we have to face and confront, this is really important. there are certain-- there are certain circumstances that the middle east is undergoing and this has an impact, an influence into how the western united states deals with the region. what i mean by this is that we need to all stand hand-in-hand to confront this serious and dangerous phenomenon. >> rose: you are suggesting that the coalition, that the
12:21 am
united states is part of should do more than it's doing. do you fault president obama for not doing enough? >> i am not blaming anybody. i am just presenting my view point. i say that we need a joint effort and strong will on all of our parts. and allocate all the resources needed to confront effectively this terrorism. egypt is the decisive element of stability. if egypt is not able to overcome its economic problems, and to be able to fight off the pressures of the forces of evil to destabilize the country, this means that this will become a real threat to the region, to europe and perhaps to the whole world. >> rose: an even to your
12:22 am
administration? >> stability is a very important thing. are you talking about the stability and security in life of 91 million people. this is not an easy thing. egypt is a big country in population in the middle east. >> rose: speak about your economy for a minute. tourism is way down. partly because of terrorism. >> yes, yes, that's true. subsequently, this has deprived egypt of substantial revenue, and that contributes to the strength of the egyptian economy. as a matter of fact, these are manifests of what terrorists do to destabilize countries. they try to hit the sowrszs of-- the sources of revenue so that they can weaken the egyptian economy and eventually,
12:23 am
eventually have a negative impact on the egyptians and lead to instainlt. >> rose: but not withstanding, american objection to human rights policies which they've expressed to you, secretary query-- kerry and others and your foreign minister responded, not withstanding that, the united staitle gives you in military aid more than a billion dollars, yes? >> yes, definitely. but i want you to-- i want you to visualize something here. egypt-- egypt has been in a ferocious campaign against terrorism for over three years now, and providing security over long borders with libya that extends more than 1,000 kilometers and another long border on the south. this is very big and it needs enormous efforts, and enormous
12:24 am
resources. the region where we are in the middle east, is weak securitywise. egypt has to strike this balance in this region with suitable military capabilities. >> rose: well, after some egyptians were killed in libya, you attacked in libya. >> where is egypt prepared to put its troops in the fight against terrorism? libya? , syria? yemen? >> egypt is sparing no pain to bring about stability and security upside our country. egypt is doing all its powers to have an economic rebound. and is contributing with the
12:25 am
international coalition with what it can provide. >> rose: how significant is the imf? >> the significance of the imf is that it is going to give more credibility to the economic path that we have taken. >> rose: you have 50% unemployment among your young people, correct? >> i want to say that in egypt the population increase 2.5% annually. this means 2.6 million people every year. more than 600,000 young people are introduced into the labor market every year, it means that you need to provide them lots of jobs an opportunities. >> rose: but you're not able to do it so far. >> so far i haven't been able to do it. >> rose: how much time do you
12:26 am
have? >> so to overcome unemployment completely and effectively, this will take a long time. >> rose: but to restore growth to the economy of egypt, with all of its currency problems, with all of its revenue issues. >> actually, we are very keen on resolving this problem within the rest of this year. especially the currency in egypt and its availability in the coming three, four months. until the end of 2016. >> rose: mr. president, characterize the relationship with the united states, not withstanding the military aid that you received and whatever economic aid you receive which is significantly less than the
12:27 am
military aid. what is the relationship between egypt and the united states today, because you're not seeing the president when you are here. you're seeing the prime minister of israel, you're not seeing the president of egypt. >> let me first characterize the relationship. this is the stablest, strategic relationship. the past 12 years has been a true test to the endurance and resilience of this relationship. and i understand-- i understand the concerns of youth administration regarding the region, regarding egypt. and this is who-- z this is a manifestation of a strong core of this relationship between egypt and the united states. it's not only defined by the
12:28 am
aid. because if the whole relationship only revolved around the size of the aid, and revolved around the size of aid and characterized the nature of the relationship, this would not be a good thing. we have had strong relationships, strategic, for more than three decades that we've been very committed to. >> rose: many people are saying that the united states will have to reconsider its relationship with egypt. if there is not a dramatic improvement in your human-rights record. that there are nongovernmental organizations that are being seized. that journalists are in jail. that there is a crackdown on
12:29 am
human rights and it's offensive to the united states government because it goes to the heart of american values, and they believe in some cases you are doing it and using security and the threat of terrorism as an excuse to solid fie your power. and that it approaches awe tor tairianism. >> in egypt this is-- this will be an oversimp if i kaition of the madness. this does not reflect the reality in egypt. and most of it is presented not very much accurately by the media, as i just mentioned. egypt-- no president will be able to set one more day in his
12:30 am
chair yobd the-- beyond the tenure because the constitution will not allow him. neither will the egyptian people. this is one thing. the other thing is that we are trying to strike a balance between stability and security. because this country cannot be violently shaken. because if it is violently shaken, there will be a lot of consequences on the country and on the region. but in the mean time, we're making sure that we are very much committed to the coalition. one important thing that i want to say about the media and journalism in egypt, i would like you to followup the media in egypt. you are an em nenlt media dignitary. just follow up and you will find thalt egyptian media just speaks and says whatever they like.
12:31 am
there are no more tyrants in egypt. that's history. >> rose: but i mean, colleagues will suggest to you that there is-- they say two things. one they say that, you know, you believe political reform and a complete freedom of expression is suicide. that's what you believe, for egypt. i mean does that reflect your mindset? that we have to crackdown in order to stop terrorism and that if human rights is violated, that is essential. >> i simply want to say that you should not overlook one important thing. we still have action within the egyptian community that is not
12:32 am
exercising certain actions like an opposing party. they are doing something else. and it seems that we need some type of order to evolve so that we have forces that are living together and they have their own rules of the game. like what you have here in the states. you've got opposition, and they can create together the political scene. what is happening with us is that this disagreeing faction is resorting to violence against the state and against the egyptian people. >> rose: but that's not the cause. those people who are human rights advocates are not the cause of the security threat. i want to raise the case. i don't want to raise but one case of an american citizen has
12:33 am
by in jail in egypt with her husband for two years. she ran a nonprofit to help street children. that's a real concern to the united states. and you know about that case. i mean, what evidence is there that she is in jail. she's not a threat to egypt's security she's not a terrorist. >> we address any issue in egypt within the legal framework of the laws applicable in our country. this is very significant, very much committed. if we really want to uphold the rule of law, if you want to make our judiciary system stable and strong, we have to all obey the legal framework of the laws applicable in our country. >> rose: so even today, there say report in the news about some organizations that were
12:34 am
being repressed, to use a kind word. because for no apparent reason. and the united states government as i understand it, and this was a story that was breaking as i came in here, it complained about it. tell me what the u.s. government says to you, as the elected president of egypt, that they want you to do about human rights. and are they satisfied with your answer when you tell them it's necessary for our security against terrorism, or not. is this a point that you disagree with them or they disagree with you about. because this is your opportunity to help us understand. you are elected president. and you have the support of your
12:35 am
people in many cases and the military. >> i have to admit that this is a point of disagreement with the united states concerning this particular issue. but we are trying to address all of these concerns and to explain the situation in egypt. in egypt now we have a parliament in session. it is going to discuss a law that will regulate the work of the ngos in he gipts in a way that will be respectable code that will regulate the work of the ngo's in egypt. and this will be done by the parliament. we are not gensz the ngo's. we are not against the role. as a matter of fact, we have 47,000 ngo' in egypt working in egypt. and they are providing very
12:36 am
valuable services to the community. they are contributing to the development. they are contributed to the solving of many problems. and this is what we need. but we really need to regulate, to organize it in a good way. >> rose: well, you know, you say you respect the rule of law and you say we want to do this with the parliament. but it's causing in it's damaging to the image of egypt i see that it is misinterpreted in order to give a bad image of egypt while the whole region is within-- a tush nent-- turbulent context. and i also bleel that friends understand and appreciate the circumstances.
12:37 am
we're talking about a turbulent region, we're talking about extremest faction, we're talking about sectors that want to destabilize countries. we need to be very sensitive. while we need a country that is stabilized. otherwise there will be many, many violations of human rights of this country, we did see countries in certificateia, yemen, we don't want to reach this level because of the lack and absence of security and stability in these countries. there are a lot of violations of human rights. >> in what countries? in countries like syria, is that what you are saying.
12:38 am
>> yes. >> i want to come back to syria in a moment. but let me just stay with this. do you agree that you are saying that it's necessary to restrain human rights, violate human rights in the interest of a security in egypt evidence, absolutely not. >> you're not acknowledging there are any human right violations on the part of your government whether it's ngo', whether it's journalingists, there are no people who are in jail simply because of opinions they expressed? >> absolutely not. in the past five years i've been in office for two years. but the egypt was in a very
12:39 am
destabilized state in the past five years. there were things that happened before i came to office. but when they are referred to me and i can do it with presidential pardon within the legal framework, i don't hesitate to do that. and have i done this with journalists like the australian and the canadian journalists to resolve things that happened before i came into office but it is very important that you rest assured and everybody who listens to me that we are very committed to the human rights because eventualitily i'm a person who loves his people. and i'm not-- i'm not ready to do them injustice or to vy late the rights or be unfair to them.
12:40 am
i'm like you, like americans. i love my fellow people. this is very important. >> may i ask that if i would present cases to you you would take a look at them. >> definitely, i will. >> present the cases to you that have been described to me as human rights violations. >> you would, as you said, if you find that there is human right violations, would you correct it? >> it goes without sayk. i will do that. we uphold the principles of respecting people, of honors their right. these are principles that we embrace. and we will not hesitate to correct any violation, according to the law. and we will hold people accountable for that. >> rose: because it's in your interest to do that.
12:41 am
>> it is in my interest and in the interest of my country and in the interest of liberty and justice. >> rose: because clearly you said there is a disagreement with the united states over these issues. you said that. so you have not yet satisfied the government of the united states, your good friend, who support you yet they still have disagreements. >> let me tell you that-- the meeting with secretary kerry. >> rose: yes. >> i gave him figures of people po have been released whether it was a criminal release or a
12:42 am
presidential release. i gave him ammunition. i gave him lists and figures to-- just to tell the u.s. administration that we are very keen on resolving this. and i believe that he appreciated it and applauded all the efforts that we have done in particular. perhaps not a lot of media coverage is being given to all the efforts that we're doing in order to resolve these issues. >> rose: i must say to you, that in fact, that was my impression that the secretary had expressed great concern and he went to a meeting and he came out and he said, thought there was some possibilities of progress on that. so i do understand that. but if i-- if i look at that list and i come back to you, somebody will take my call i will be able to reach someone in egypt gipt.
12:43 am
so where would you like the relationship between the united states and egypt to go? what would you like to see happen between these two countries? what would you say to president obama if you were seeing him. >> i will tell him that we are very committed to the strategic relationship with the united states it is very important for the united states to understand that egypt has been through fundamental change. there is no return to-- there is no return to violation of human rights. now no president in egypt can stay in office more than the continuure. sth is history now.
12:44 am
and this is a fundamental change. in the past, this, this is something that did not happen, either in egypt or in the other countries around egypt. now we have well established constitution that regulates the interrelationships. there say parliament that has been elected through free and fair elections. this parliament has more than 85 egyptian women. i'm not talking about the structure or of religious backgrounds. because in egypt now we say we are all fellow egyptians. we don't characterize people according to the religious
12:45 am
faith. but what has happened now has happened in a very short time. so perhaps the development cannot be fement by a country like the united states. but there is a natural development and natural growth of the community and of ris-- countries. >> rose: you want to say to the yonted states that we are trying to change and there are positive things happening. and you may not know about them but we want to prove to you that, you know, that-- while on the one hand, we want to prove to you that things are changing. i want to ask you about cop particular christians too. -- coptick christians too. >> please, we don't say-- we don't characterize people according to their religious faith. we say egyptians. >> rose: okay. >> they are all equal. this is very important for you to know, charlie. there is no discrimination. fellow egyptians have the same
12:46 am
rights and the same responsibilities. and one of their rides is that we shouldn't be defined by their religious faith. and very recently there say law that passed by the parliament to regulate the building of houses of worship, of worship for all religious faiths in egypt. a law that was laid for over 150 years. but now it has been passed by the parliament for all fellow egyptians. and now you can ask the question. >> i have friends who are
12:47 am
christians and without singling them out there have been attacks against them. they believe because of their religion. >> used to be. >> rose: used to be now, by the way, that happens by the extremist current that i talked about, the extremist faction that i talked about. these extremist factions and elements destroyed churches after the 30th of june 2013. but all of the damaged churches are being restored and refurbished, by the end of this year they will be as good as new. >> rose: let me ask you about. >> let me add something here. you need to know that in order to reach a certain level of
12:48 am
wareness within the community to instill the concept of quality, to instill the concept of not discriminating people because of religious background, is something really important, to take time. but it is a process in the making that will become fewer in egypt and it will spread out to the other countries to respect the other, to accept the other, not to discriminate because of racial, religious or doing mattic background. >> rose: let me ask about two initiatives of yours on the foreign policy front. one is that you have developed a better relationship with israel, correct? a relationship with israel is pretty good. there is continuous coordination.
12:49 am
don't forget that we have deployed egyptian troops to fight terrorism in an area that was banned by security and excelled the peace treaty to have forces and israelis understood that. there are some operations that we need aerial efforts. and these aerial operations will be overlooking the borders with israel and they unstab this. let me say to you that we are now past the phase of insecurity. now we-- now we are in a phase where we need a new peace meal. this region has already digested the peace treaty signed by egypt
12:50 am
and israel more than 30 years ago. >> rose: you also encouraged the prime minister of israel to seek an agreement with the palestinians, was he responsive? >>. >> yes, slowtsly and i don't only address the israeli prime minister but i also address the israeli public opinion. and i tell them that be sure that peace can chan the facial of this region and if there are palestinians side-by-side with israel, there will be a fundamental change to the region where the region can enjoy security and stainlt and i'm speaking to the israel public to the israeli citizens i cannot just encourage the prime minister or the israeli government in something as sensitive as this i have to speak to the public opinion indeed you do. as you know there is some concern that many israeli leaders are no longer looking at a two statelution.
12:51 am
and that is of concern to people who are friends of israel like the united states. >> one of the points the president has publicly said he wants to make with prime minister netanyahu. >> do you worry about that? that the israeli leadership is no longer interested in a two-state solution? i believe that they believe in a two-state solution am but there is difference between convincing people of the significants and importance of this and imposing the solution on oishes, i believe applying pressure would not be as effective as creating a belief a conviction that if peace is achieved, and if there is no threat to the security of the israeli citizens, sth will
12:52 am
mark a new start and a new faces to middle east am we should not forget that the palestinian issue has been one of the underlying problems and one of the causes of terrorism in the region. if we can find a way out and a breakthrough of this impasse, i believe this will be another asset that we can use to insure stability and open up the relations between israelnd the arab-- arab countries that will be much better. >> then turkey i read that there is an improvement in communication, with the turkish government which is getting more involved in syria then they have before. is thrn thr an improvement in
12:53 am
your relationship. >> until now, not yet. >> not yet. >> are you hopeful? >> the region where you lit has enough conflicts and enough. >> and the circumstances that are taking place then there is russia. you want russians to help you with new clear power, are they going do that. we want to establish a nuclear power plant to generate electricity. it has been an international
12:54 am
tendser and we proposeed this for many countries and the number of countries presented offers to us. and as a matter of fact its russian offer has been the best offer until now. >> rose: mr. president,thank you for this time, i hope you allow me to follow up in egypt with you. you don't have to promise me. because egypt is a great country, as you know there is tensions. there are issues that we have spoken about. there are other issues that because it was a busy time in new york and you have important meetings and i'm grateful for the time that you have given me to pursue some of these issues with you. so my thanks and i look forward to more conversation. >>. >> i thawp for having me and i
12:55 am
thank your dises tinning wished audience and i can promise that we will have a pollon in egypt i will be very delighted if we have you in egypt. it will be very significant, if you go to the street, meet the egyptians talk to them and through you, the american people can hear what its egyptians have to say. so i will be waiting for your visit. >> rose: thank you, sir. i accept, thank you very much. >> my pleasure, my pleasure. thank you. >> rose: for more about this program and earlier episodes visit us online at pbs.org and charlie rose.com. captioning sponsored by rose communications captioned by media access group at wgbh access.wgbh.org
12:56 am
>> rose: funding for "charlie rose" has been provided by: >> and by bloomberg, a provider of multimedia news and information services worldwide.
12:57 am
12:58 am
12:59 am
1:00 am
♪ >> announcer: this is "nightly busine with tyler matheson and s. choppy start. stocks continue their recent volatile ways to start the week and appear un phun-fazed by thi weekend's bombings. >> confidence surges as home buyers appear more eager than ever to sign on the dotted line. >> talking a big game. why oracle's larry ellison is making a brash prediction, attacking amazon in the process. those stories and more tonight on "nightly business rep for monday, september 19. >> good evening and welcome. a major breakthrough in the new york and new jersey bombings. we'll have more on that later in the program. but we begin with the volatile t

36 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on